Habanero Peach Pineapple Glazed Chicken Skewers
So we finally made it to the entree and I am head over heels in LOVE with the way it turned out. Habanero Peach Pineapple Glazed Chicken Skewers. Today wasn’t the most sunny day and my lighting isn’t perfect but this is one of the best grilled recipes I’ve made in a long time!
Last summer I brined some chicken with buttermilk and jalapeño and it was amazing so I wanted to try and top it. I can’t even say which one I think is best. I love sweet and spiciness but I’m not a fan of just raw heat with no flavor so don’t let the habanero scare you off. These chicken skewers have really only a hint of heat since I seeded and deveined the peppers. As you may know habaneros are one of the hottest peppers out there. The good news with making your own glaze is that you control the heat. These were perfect. If you like more heat just leave the seeds and vein.
With this being our entree that means we’ve already gone over most of the menu. We’ve had Sweet Tea Sparkling Cooler, Strawberry Heirloom Salad, Bacon Cheddar Corn Spoon Bread and Grilled Fresh Okra so far. All turned out really great and I think would be just perfect for your 4th of July table.
If you don’t love one or more of the things I chose I’ve also given lots of other suggestions along with links to help you out. Just pop over to the posts with our other courses and you’ll find an alternative that fits you better.
Let’s go over some different entree suggestions. For Father’s Day I made these Sticky Chipotle Baby Back Ribs. These brown sugar baked wings look amazing. I want to make them now! Chicken wrapped in bacon and grilled? Oh MY! Cajun Baked Ham with Sugarcane Bourbon Glaze sounds right up my alley! Marinated Flank Steak or Crockpot Brown Sugar Balsamic Glazed Pork Tenderloin? Both sounds incredibly good. Lastly if you’re looking for something on the lighter side what about my Grilled Salmon Kebabs?
If you are choosing these beautiful Habanero Peach Pineapple Glazed Chicken Skewers or want something similar but don’t want to make the glaze (it was super simple though) you could always buy a pepper jelly from the market and heat it in a sauce pot and use that. Just a quick shortcut. Don’t skip grilling your pineapple and peach slices though. They’re perfect with this recipe.
- 1 cup peach preserves
- 1 cup pineapple preserves
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil plus more for grill grate (olive oil can be substituted)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 habanero, minced, seeded and deveined
- 4 peaches, cut in chunks
- 1 whole pineapple, cut into cubes (I cut half in cubes and half in rings)
- 2 pounds chicken, cut into cubes or strips (I used chicken tenderloin strips and thighs)
- In a medium sauce pot over low heat add first 9 ingredients and bring to a simmer.
- Allow to simmer on low for about 10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Skewer chicken alternating with pineapple and peaches.
- Preheat your grill.
- Brush grill grate with oil.
- Place skewers directly on grill grate and cook over medium flame for 6-8 minutes. Turn over and continue cooking another 6-8 minutes.
- Reserve half of the glaze and slather the chicken and fruit in glazed and continue cooking another 2-4 minutes until done.
- Serve remaining glaze with the chicken skewers.