Goat Cheese Crispy Prosciutto and Pepper Jelly Gratin
It’s dip season so I made a goat cheese gratin. I mean dip season I suppose is year ’round but an abundance of dips are scattered over tables during football season so I whipped up a really quick and easy one for us this week. Goat Cheese Crispy Prosciutto and Pepper Jelly Gratin. It is definitely one I will be making lots in the future.
Now I know it can be hard to get most of the male population to actually eat/try goat cheese but this is one of those cases where I am fine with that since it leaves more for us. If you’re not a goat cheese gratin fan then I’m not really sure what to tell you on this one. Normally I can come up with really good substitutions but really the only thing I can think of here is cream cheese. I’m guessing it would be ok but just to be safe, if you’re not a fan of the goat cheese like I am, maybe skip this one? (Although I don’t understand that AT ALL.)
One of my favorite gratin recipes was one I came up with last year near the holidays for this Sweet Potato Apple and Gruyere Gratin. It’s lovely although the photograph again is pretty rough. I hope I’m improving with my photography and styling skills!!
If you ARE a fan of the goat cheese, you’re in luck. It pairs really well with the crispy prosciutto and then topped off with spicy pepper jelly this dish is pretty much perfect. Did I mention how EASY it is? Crisp up the prosciutto in the oven for a few minutes and then whip it together with the cheese and top with jelly! Bam!! It’s definitely something you can throw together right before guests arrive. Or for a lazy Saturday around the house for something to snack on.
And this is what it looks like right before it goes in the oven.
We took a trip to Bermuda in August and it far exceeded my expectations. I knew it would be a wonderful place to visit but I had no idea how I’d fall in LOVE with that tiny little island it’s amazing history and character. If you ever get the chance definitely take it! More on my trip soon enough. You see I bought a small travel camera so that I didn’t have to drag my big one around and risk damaging it and well, I’ve lost the download cord. Of course none of my 74 others fit. My Instagram has lots of pictures but I’ll post some more soon!! The pepper jelly is one I bought on our trip to Bermuda.
I’m not saying you have to have Bermudian pepper jelly to make this recipe work by any means. Any kind of sweet/spicy jelly you can get your hands on will work. For me, the spicier the better, especially with the creamy goat cheese and salty prosciutto. I tend to use prosciutto a good bit in appetizers and sandwiches, too.
What’s your go-to dip during dip season??? 😀
- 6 slices prosciutto
- 11 punces toast cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 11 punces pepper jelly
- 1 loaf French bread, sliced and toasted
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place prosciutto slices on a rack placed over a baking sheet and bake until crispy, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Crumble.
- Add goat cheese to a medium mixing bowl along with cream and black pepper and stir to combine.
- Add crumbled prosciutto and mix just until incorporated.
- Transfer mixture to a small casserole dish (5x8 works or similar) or cast iron pan and top with pepper jelly.
- Bake for 5 minutes or until warm. Raise gratin to top level of oven and broil for another 5 minutes or until it begins to bubble at the sides.
- Remove and serve warm with toasted French bread.