Creamy Brussels Sprouts Soup with Crispy Chorizo
I’ve partnered with my ad network Martha’s Circle and McCormick Spices on this post. They emailed me to ask if I wanted to be included in the Go 4 Gourmet Challenge with McCormick Spices. Apparently I said yes and this Creamy Brussels Sprout Soup with Crispy Chorizo is my submission.
I really wasn’t even sure what it was to begin with but anything that has the word challenge in it gets me every time. They sent me a box with 3 ingredients in it. McCormick Smoked Paprika, Chorizo and chicken stock.
The instructions were to make an original dish using the things in my box and brussels sprouts. Fun, right? I love coming up with original recipes.
To me Brussels Sprouts are the essence of fall. So when I began thinking about what I wanted to create for the challenge, I knew I wanted it to be reminiscent of cool weather, warm sweaters and comfort. And also…something different. So many brussels sprout recipes are roasted with bacon so I wanted something outside the norm.
I cleaned the sprouts by rinsing in water to get off any dirt, cutting the bottom end away and then peeling off a few of the outer leaves and sliced down the center. You’ll end up with a pile of discards that almost dwarf the sprouts you’re using!
I added stock, butter, garlic and shallot along with my McCormick Gourmet spices, Paprika and Ground Mustard, and braised them until tender.
While that was going, I removed the casing from the sausage by scoring the outside and just peeling it away.
I diced my chorizo (I actually cut mine with my kitchen shears…they make everything easier) and crisped it up to remove some of the grease and more importantly to give it a good crunch. I then pureed the sprouts with cream and topped the whole thing off with the crispy chorizo, a drizzle of that gorgeous hazelnut oil and a dollop of sour cream. Lastly a tiny, or not so tiny, pinch of McCormick Gourmet Cayenne Pepper. Amazing.
Check my submission out along with many others. There’s a new challenge every couple of weeks and I think anyone can enter! Try it. It was fun and the prizes are pretty cool!
- 2 lbs fresh brussels sprouts (that's about 30 medium-large sprouts)
- 2 tablespoons hazelnut oil, plus more for garnish
- 2 small shallots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 heads of garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons McCormick Gourmet Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet Ground Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 -2 cups diced chorizo
- Pinch of McCormick Gourmet Cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- Garnish with sour cream
- Rinse sprouts under running water to remove any leftover dirt. Cut away stalk end and peel outside leaves and discard. Cut each sprout in half.
- Heat hazelnut oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat until hot. Add cleaned sprouts and cook about 2-3 minutes until some browning begins.
- Add shallots, garlic, butter, paprika, ground mustard and salt and pepper and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add chicken stock and braise until sprouts are fork tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a small sauce pot sauté diced chorizo over medium heat until desired crispiness, 2-3 minutes. Don't over crisp. Drain on a paper towel and set aside.
- Remove sprouts from heat and add cream.
- Using an immersion blender puree until the soup is smooth.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper seasoning.
- Top with 1/4 cup crispy chorizo, dollop of sour cream (optional), drizzle of hazelnut oil and pinch of cayenne. Enjoy!