Salted Caramel Cream Cheese Brownies
I made brownies. I’m so sorry I made brownies. Not just any brownies. I mean just any brownies are great. Even box brownies are ok with me. I was a brownie fan until today but these…Salted Caramel Cream Cheese Brownies are evil. Evil in a way that only food can be. I’ve created evil brownies. I’m really sorry.
I love salted caramel. I know you already know that. It’s a problem, a character flaw almost that I’ve come to accept. I recently made these Kitchen Sink Monster Cookies and added the store-bought salted caramels and thought I’d use them again. I normally make my own salted caramel candies both regular with this salted caramel sauce and also flavored candies but it was too simple to grab a box of them pre-made when I was at the store. If you love it as much as I do, check out this amazing chocolate flour-less roulade or this french toast recipe. I think it’s about time I made a salted caramel category since there are so many recipes and no end to them in sight. Thoughts?
As I was making the evil brownies of course I ate part of the batter. You have to do that as a cook and a food blogger, you know, taste test as you go. It’s an unwritten rule. It may even be a written rule somewhere. I should check that out. Anyway, I also had to sample the finished product as soon as it came out of the oven to be sure it was cooked all the way. I then had to eat a whole brownie once they cooled to make sure the ratio of ingredients throughout the brownie was correct. This is all part of my job you see.
The problem began when the evil brownies started calling me from the other room. Just whispering at first but then louder and more insistent. I tried to ignore them but they just kept calling and calling so in order to get them to stop so that I could be productive, I answered and ate another. Guess what? They called me again. At this point I’ve gone deaf from an overdose of chocolate so I think I’m safe for the moment. I am worried however what tomorrow may bring. Just look at that evil string of caramel hanging out. I think he was the loudest of the bunch.
I would not suggest making the evil brownies. Well maybe if there’s someone in your life you’re angry or upset with, then maybe make them as a peace offering (hehehe) or if you’re severely underweight. That would be a good reason. You could reach your healthy weight by simply standing next to the evil brownies.
I’ll go ahead and share the recipe with you so that you know what goes into creating evil Salted Caramel Cream Cheese Brownies. Consider yourself warned.
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershey's Special Dark)
- 12 ounces dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 2 sticks butter cut into pieces
- 2 cups sugar plus 1/3 cup sugar (divided)
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup salted caramel candies, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 (8 ounce bars) cream cheese
- In a medium bowl stir together flour, salt and cocoa powder and set aside.
- In the top of a double boiler (or a metal or glass bowl set on top of a small sauce pan with water in it) melt butter and chopped dark chocolate. Turn off heat.
- Whisk in sugar.
- In a small bowl, whisk 4 eggs until light and fluffy.
- While whisking, add a small amount of chocolate and sugar mixture continually stirring so that the eggs don't begin to cook from the heat. Add another small amount the same way.
- Add egg and chocolate mixture to chocolate and sugar mixture and mix well.
- Sprinkle flour mixture over the top and fold until it's almost all incorporated.
- Add salted caramels and fold until no flour shows.
- Pour batter into a buttered 9x13 in dish lined with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl whip one egg with 1/3 cup sugar.
- Place dollops of cream cheese mixture on top of the batter and swirl with a knife. Be careful not to swirl too much or you'll mix it completely.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out almost clean.
- Cool completely before cutting.