Mushroom Andouille Cheesecake with Creole Cream Sauce
We go to this restaurant in New Orleans that has the most interesting menu! They have all sorts of game (more than I’ve ever seen) but plenty of other really interesting dishes that are (so far) amazing! I had a savory cheesecake there not long ago and couldn’t stop thinking about it. Their version was shrimp and alligator sausage. Don’t say yuck! I know a savory cheesecake just sounds too out there for some but it wasn’t at all. It was wonderful but I couldn’t easily get my hands on any alligator sausage so I decided to improvise. I made Mushroom and Andouille and I have to say I came pretty darn close!!
At this restaurant they serve their cheesecake as an appetizer and now I know why. It’s super rich. I wanted to make it for the fam as a dinner entree and serve it with a big green salad but you’d really need to cut just a sliver. I loved it, we all did, and I will make it again but it’ll be for a dinner party. For guests I want to impress and it’ll be a small first course.
Earlier this month OXO sent me some EGGcellent tools and I was so pumped to get to use them here! I got this really cool egg white/yolk separator. An omelet tool to help me flip them just perfectly (although in this task I found that it works great as a bowl scraper too-it has a pliable edge and harder side-LOVE), and an easy, handheld egg beater. I ended up using all of them with this Mushroom Andouille Cheesecake!
Guess what? Did you know it’s pronounced ox-oh? I didn’t. I’ve always pronounced it by just saying the letters like O.X.O. but that’s not right. Just a little FYI. I love OXO! Thanks for the tools guys! I’ll use them always. 😀
Back to the yummy cheesecake. It’s really very simple to make and you could use any ingredients you like if you’re not an andouille fan. The crust is so super simple. I used half panko bread crumbs and half parmesan cheese and put it in the bottom of a 9″ springform pan and left it alone. I browned my sausage, added some butter and veggies, the cream cheese, eggs, seasonings, fun cheeses (y’all know I love my fun cheese) and poured the batter right on top of the unbaked crust. I topped it with a little more parmesan and baked. SO easy!
One definite word of caution. DO NOT try and cut it while it’s hot. It almost needs to be just barely warm or it WILL fall apart. I learned the hard way.
I served it with an easy creole cream sauce and sprinkled some fresh chives on top.
- 3/4 cup panko break crumbs
- 3/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese plus extra for topping if desired
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 1/2 pound andouille sausage, browned and drained
- 1 stick butter
- 8 punces mixed mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Tony Chacherie's (or any Cajun seasoning blend)
- 3 egg yolks and 1 whole egg
- 1/3 cup cream
- 4-8 ounce bars cream cheese
- 2 cups smoked gouda, shredded
- 3/4 cup asiago fresco, shredded
- 1/3 cup cream cream
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon prepared ranch dressing
- 5 dashes worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Tony Chacherie's Cajun seasoning
- 2-3 dashes hot sauce (or more if desired)
- fresh chives as garnish if desired.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray a 9 inch spring form pan with cooking spray.
- Stir together parmesan and panko and pour evenly in the bottom of springform. Set aside.
- Brown andouille over medium heat in a large sauce pan with high sides until cooked through.
- remove from pan and drain.
- In same pan, melt butter.
- Add shallot and bell pepper and cook for 4-5 minutes until wilted.
- Add mushrooms and cook another 5 minutes until mushrooms are tender.
- Add garlic, salt, pepper and Cajun seasoning and cook 2 minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese, eggs and cream.
- Slowly add cream cheese mixture, smoked gouda and asiago stirring constantly to the andouille mixture and stir until combined.
- Pour entire mixture in springform and bake 35-45 minutes until set.
- While cheesecake is baking, mix together ingredients for creole cream sauce by stirring them all together until blended and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Remove cheesecake when done and allow to cool almost completely before cutting.
- Top with fresh chives and cream sauce if desires.
Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!