Toasted Coconut Carrot and Shaved Apple Salad
Hiya! How are you? Sometimes I wish I could sit down with you guys and talk to you and get to know you…see how your life is going. Learn about your work and your family. I’m so curious about you. Where you live and what you like to do so anything you’d like to share with me, I’d love to hear!
Notice a pattern? I’m sharing a couple of really bad, but oh so decadent and yummy recipes and then offsetting them with some light, healthy-ish recipes. It’s a good trade off I think and I don’t feel so bad when we devour the good/bad stuff so quickly!
This Toasted Coconut Carrot and Shaved Apple Salad is one of the light, fresh dishes but turned out so well it’ll be in my normal rotation. It would also be really good with added chicken or maybe shrimp? Thoughts?
I saw something similar in a magazine sitting on a plane one day and thought I’d try and make my own version. For mine, I poked around in the refrigerator and pulled out everything I thought looked good together. This is what I came up with.
Apples of course, and carrots. I used my mandoline to shave the apple like this Shaved Apple and Bibb Salad with Buttermilk Tarragon Dressing. I love it super thin and there’s no way I could get it this thin on my own. I also used coconut, sunflower seeds, peanut butter, purple cabbage, fresh parsley and dried tarragon. I have the hardest time finding fresh tarragon! I think I may have to grow some.
I also used a pepper jelly vinaigrette I made not long ago. I’ll share the salad I put it on soon. So good!
- I cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons pepper jelly vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- 1 apple, shaved
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- salt to taste
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat toast the coconut and sunflower seeds together.
- Whisk together peanut butter and pepper jelly vinaigrette.
- In a medium bowl combine cabbage, carrot, apple, tarragon, parsley and toasted coconut and sunflower seeds.
- Add peanut butter mixture and toss to coat.
- Taste and salt as needed.
- 1/3 cup (heaping) pepper jelly
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- With an immersion blender or standard blender, add all ingredients except olive oil and pulse several times to combine.
- Turn blender on and drizzle olive oil very slowly.
- When all olive oil is combined allow the blender to run for about 30 seconds to make sure the dressing is emulsified and doesn't break down.
- Serve on your favorite salad and store up to 2 weeks in an airtight container in the refrigerator.