Shaved Apple Bibb Salad with Buttermilk Tarragon Dressing
I’ve been very lax lately on writing posts. I have been in the kitchen a lot but my work has stopped there. I took some time off around the holidays and haven’t gotten back into my routine. Has that happened for anyone else?
I made this Bibb salad the other day for my lunch based on a similar one I had at a restaurant a few weeks ago. It was light and crisp and not too involved so when I realized I had the ingredients I wanted to use, I set out to make a fairly healthy lunch for myself. It was nice. It was one of those days when I found myself at home alone and in the kitchen. No one to make any requests or try and alter my menu in any way so it was exactly what I wanted.
I love this bibb lettuce. It’s light and almost delicate but the base has some crunchy white parts but you could use any lettuce you like. It has shaved apple, some toasted almonds and a good Comte cheese. It’s a French cheese that’s nutty and a little salty and rich. I love it. Y’all know I love cheese. Use whatever you have and like though. I used my mandoline to get my apples shaved super thin.
For the dressing I used buttermilk I had in the freezer. It’s so easy to freeze in sizes you’ll need later since it goes bad so quickly. Here’s a post I did on tips where you can see how I save my buttermilk for future uses. I also used some lemon juice, a little dijon mustard, olive oil and some dried tarragon, salt and pepper. I really wanted to use fresh tarragon but didn’t have any (it seems like a harder herb to find in fresh form) so I threw in some fresh parsley to give it that alive taste. I used my immersion blender like in this post to bring it all together and join the ingredients but you could easily use a regular blender.
Here’s a quick recipe that’s perfect for lunch or an easy first course for dinner. It serves approximately two.
- 3 cups bibb lettuce torn in bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup Comte cheese or hard nutty cheese of your choice, cut into matchsticks
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 apple, shaved or sliced very thin
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- juice from 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped fine
- Arrange lettuce, apple slices, tasted almonds and cheese on two plates.
- Whisk together buttermilk, lemon juice, tarragon and dijon.
- Add olive oil very slowly while whisking very fast to emulsify. (I use am immersion blender)
- Stir in chopped parsly and taste for salt and pepper.